Happenings in Children's
We have a lot of things happening in the Children's area. Scroll down the page to find information on the program you're interested in, or call us at 657-8256.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Do you have a child not yet in kindergarten? Sign up today and foster a love of reading at an early age. Infants, toddlers, and preschoolers are all encouraged to participate.
One book a day = 1000 books before kindergarten!
Beary Merry Holiday
December 2nd to December 24th
Two special bears will be visiting the library this holiday season! Snowflake and Jingle Bell will be spending time in Children’s Services. They plan on having a few adventures while they are here and we’re sure our security camera will see what they are doing!
• Stop by the Children’s desk daily to view the picture of what the bears did the night before
• Use the picture to find the Snowflake and Jingle Bell located somewhere in the Children’s area
• Tell the Librarian where you found the Snowflake and Jingle Bell to earn an entry into a drawing for a chance to win a prize!
• You may enter daily from December 2nd to December 24th.
Kids Ready to Code!
December 9th & 13th
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Come celebrate Computer Science Education Week at the library! Children and tweens 0-12 are invited to come learn beginning coding through animation and other fun games
- No knowledge or experience needed
- Pre-registration required, please call 657-8256 to register for a single spot the 9th or 13th.
Holiday Make and Take Winter Craft
Monday, December 16
3:00 pm - 4:45 pm
- Celebrate the Holidays by making cards to give to your loved ones! (Winter Holiday Inclusive)
- Clean up begins at 4:45 pm.
- Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by an adult. Limit 2 cards per participant.
- All children are welcome, no registration required.
Kids Books to Movies
Watch a movie based on a book! Stay for the whole movie, and be entered into a drawing for a copy of the movie and the book the movie is based on.
Thursday, December 26th Community Room
“Polar Express” based on the book by Chris Van Allsburg. Rated G, running time of 1 hr. 40 mins.
Friday, December 27th Story Tower
“Dumbo” based on the book by Helen Aberson and Harold Pearl. Rated PG, running time of 1 hr. 52 mins.
Saturday, December 28th Story Tower
“Mary Poppins Returns” based on the book by P.L. Travers. Rated PG, running time of 2 hrs. 20 mins.
R.E.A.D. to a Dog
Saturday, January 4th
11am - Noon
- Each reader will have the chance to read to one dog
- All children who are readers are welcome
- Registration is the day of the program at the Children's desk
- Space is limited
- More Information on R.E.A.D.
Yoga Story Time
Thursday, January 9th
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Enjoy a story and find your zen through movement and mindfulness.
- All children welcome—no prior registration required, just show up on time.
- No mat? No problem! Borrow one of ours!
- Yoga instructor is a certified yoga teacher and registered through Yoga Alliance
Available online now!
Log in and enjoy an interactive learning environment where the youngest explorers have fun while immersed in content and tools that will prepare them for a successful educational journey!
- Games and Activities
Available now in the Children's Area!
Make learning and literacy development more exciting with VOX Books. VOX Books are physical books equipped with an audio player that narrates to children as they follow along.
- Hardcover book with full audio recording
- Headphone jack for individual learning and a built-in speaker
- Fully portable– the rechargeable battery allows up to 100 listens per charge and no Wi-Fi or data are required
- Easy set up– simply push a button to listen and read, from beginning to end